Where are the bright green orientalis?

i have 8 B.Orientalis , 4 are Brown olive green and the other 4 are quite bright. They all change colors when are under stress , but the difference in colors is quite impressive.
I want to post some pictures for show how this wonderful toads can be different to eachother
brown olive green (this group are all 2-3 years old)
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

bright green ( 8months to 1 years old)

016-1.jpg

015-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

017.jpg

While there are several approaches to breeding these toads, the most important requirement for breeding orientalis is a winter cool down period lasting at least 6 weeks.
One successful method involves placing the toads in a tupperware/plastic food container filled two thirds of the way with moist moss and then placing the container in a fridge. The temperature of the fridge should be 7-10 °C (45-50 °F). Six to eight weeks seems to be sufficient time to condition the toads using this approach. During this period the toads are fed once a week. When their time in the fridge is up, transfer them back to a tank that is kept within the normal temperature range (see the information box near the top of this article). After allowing the toads a few days to adjust to life outside the fridge, they should receive a heavy feeding regimen that consists of crickets four times a week, and waxworms once a week. This is an integral aspect of conditioning because the nutrition the female receives will transfer to her eggs/egg production. For the first week out of the fridge, a reduced lighting period of about 10 hours per day is recommended, increasing by 1-2 hours each week until reaching a peak of about 14 hours of light each day. By the end of the first week you should begin to hear your male(s) calling.

There are a few dozen methods to breed Bombina orientalis, and they all work. Sometimes a water change with cool water can be enough.

May i ask whats the difference between Russian and Chinese species?

The Chinese are often smaller and green or brown, the Russians lean toward a much deeper red belly and their brown colouration is distinct from the Chinese. The Korean type tends toward green more exclusively (though some variations exist.

I have 5 total and one is very dark and the other 4 are very bright, my dark one is my fatty, LOL, he also seems to be the friendliest of my guys.

photo_zpsdfdadc55.jpg

All of the ones I have seen that are bright green have been wild caught, although I'm not sure where they were collected. I started with a group of bright green wild caught. Almost all of their offspring were brown or just had a little green on them. I thought they might grow into their colors but they did not. Then I thought it was environmental so I added lots of green plants to the tank. Still the offspring came out brown. I suspect, as others have said, that pigmentation may be a dietary issue.

Hi Folks
So how do we maintain the bright green colors of Bombina orientalis?
gut loading crickets and worms with color enhancing food? eg. Hikari Bio-Gold pallets which contains Astaxanthin?
how about pterins and luteins mentioned earlier? where can we find food which contains them?
thanks and cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back