The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 10th September 2007   #1
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Stressed Juvenile Axolotls - any ideas?

Hi guys,

I've got two Juvenile Axolotls; they are about 5cm (two inches) - both in a 1ft plastic tank. I reared them earlier this year from eggs; they were the smaller two of six.

I've noticed for the past couple of days they are showing signs of stress - Gills pointing forward and a curled tail end.

Not changed any routine. Nothing external (such as noise) to disturb them. No water flow (no pump/filter), water temperature and levels are fine; both eating well - they've got a bit of a hiding place (although they seldom use it).

Any ideas

philbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007   #2
frances dansie
(digger)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

my to juvenilles have a tndancy to get like that when its brighter weather, i cover their tank with a dark towel for a couple of hours and this seems to settle them back down.

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007   #3
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: philbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and informationphilbaker76 has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks mate - I'll give that a try and post the result. Cheers, Phil

Old 13th September 2007   #4
Phil
(philbaker76)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Thumbs up Update

That did the trick. Thanks digger!

The little fella's are looking a lot happier now. Thinking about it, I had changed one thing - I'd moved the tank from a more shaded part of the room.

Thanks again. Phil

Old 13th September 2007   #5
frances dansie
(digger)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

glad to here things are ok again,
glad i could help

digger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, ideas, juvenile, stressed