The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 27th July 2010   #1
JimO

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JimO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Dart Frogger

Hello,

I mostly keep dart frogs, but have always wanted to try salamanders. They are one of my favorite groups of animals. I've lived most of my life in Florida and have always collected reptiles and amphibians, but I have never once found a salamander in Northeast Florida where I live, which I find odd. I've seen several types in the Blue Ridge mountains on vacation, but never down here.

Anyway, it's good to have found this site.

JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #2
Lindsay
(NecturusLindsay)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: NecturusLindsay has shown reliable knowledgeNecturusLindsay has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: New Dart Frogger

Welcome to the forum!
I live in the Melbourne area, and I too have never seen a newt or salamander (well, with the exception of an amphiuma) in Fl. I go to college in NW Ga however, and we're LOADED up there.

NecturusLindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #3
Hayden
(Hayden)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Hayden has started on the right path

That's so cool that you keep Dart Frogs!
I have some questions for you. If I recall, their toxicity comes mostly from their diet. If you feed them appropriately, can they be touched and held safely? Are they hard to keep?

Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #4
CherryBlossom

Nationality:
Comments: 29
Rep: CherryBlossom has shown reliable knowledgeCherryBlossom has shown reliable knowledge

Hi there welcome to the forum! xxxx

"Like my good hand I tatooed E.V.I.L. across it's brother's fist..That filthy five! They did nothing to challenge or resist." - Mr nick cave.

CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #5
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Welcome to the forum!

Hannah, in captivity all dendrobatids are completely harmless. Without the specific chemicals they get from ants and other invertebrates in their natural habitat, they canŽt produce any toxin.
Some species are considered easy (after their fashion) to keep. I know of a few people who have started in the hobby with Epipedobates tricolor or Dendrobates auratus.
Gorgeous animals the lot of them...but i dread the day that iŽll allow myself to get one :S

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010   #6
A. Macxicanum
(Mac Myers)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Mac Myers has given good advice and informationMac Myers has given good advice and information

Greetings. I'm in Florida too. Never seen a Newt or Salamander. I've only seen 2 crayfish. 1 bear (dead), 1 bobcat (dead) 1 Indigo Snake (not dead).
I used to keep darts too. They are great animals. My wife made me go bug less when we moved. So no more insect eating critters.