Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding an Ambystoma larva

Kurt

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an Ambystoma larva that I caught in a pond in NH. I am not sure of the species, but that's not that important right now. What is important is I need to feed him. I had been feeding him daphnia that I had collected out of my pool. The first group I collected I put in with him immediately, he was overwhelmed by the number of them, but he was eating them and he was looking well fed for the next few days.
A few days ago we finally got around to "opening" the pool. Before throwing in chlorine I gather a ton of daphnia out of the pool knowing they would not last long after we began treating the water. So I put this back up source in a basin and left it on the back porch. Long story short, the next day the Sun came out and cooked them. I thought "OK no problem, maybe I can culture the ones I still have in with the salamander"
Then I did a water change in the larva's critter keeper and I forgot to use the dechlorinator. The tap water here is usually not all that high in chlorine so I wasn't overly concerned. Well, the salamander survived, no problem, but his food wasn't so lucky. The last of the daphnia died off with in 24 hours of the water change. What I have learned is daphnia are more sensitive to environmental changes than amphibians are.
Now I have a dilemma, what can I feed this little guy that is readily available? Can I get him to eat frozen or dried fish food? Are live black worms too big? Is live brine shrimp?

Nathan

Reaction score
Live blackworms should work. If he has a lot of trouble, try cutting them in two with scissors. I have also used baby brine shrimp and small scuds for small Ambystoma larvae.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Frozen bloodworms from petsmart or petco.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other local ponds may have daphnia or mosquito larvae.

Kurt

Reaction score
Well, he just emerged from the water and he is the cutest little maculatum. He is in and out of the water so I will try feeding him blood worm one more time. If he is no longer interested in them, then its on to fruit flies.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Try collecting very tiny woodlice my morphs love them along with a large species of spring tails that I have been collecting. I also have some 3 day old crickets but watch to make sure they get eaten and don't start growing. Make sure you keep him moist I have found they like alittle more moisture than adults but should not be soaking wet with a screen top to keep mold from growing.
Good luck!!! Keep us posted

Kurt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but I do raise all my own food. At least for the little amphibians I have. I do buy crickets to supplement their diet, as for some reason I have never been sucseessful culturing them. I am currently culturing two different types of fruit flies and bean weevils. I am thinking about looking in to other insects I can culture, without collecting from the wild.
I am a moderator over at the frog fourm. Come and check what we have going on over there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1