Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happened to my thread?

David Pinckney

Reaction score
:confused:Well, the title says it all... What happened to my thread? Why would it just disappear?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I would start by reading the Terms of Use/ Forum Rules as it may have been removed due to a violation.
(However, in your case I will predict it was a want ad of some sort, which we place limitations on until new members become better established in the community. This is done to keep people from impulse buying, and most importantly to prevent spam adds from web bots and the like.)

I would then check my email and spam email for a message from the Mod Team. Also, check your inbox here on the forums. Generally the explanation is communicated to you that way. Additionally, some forums on the site here require a post to be moderated (Due to membership status, nature of the post, etc...) before it is released online.

Given it is the holiday season, sometimes it takes a while for the Team to approve posts as I suspect they may have families, be out "studying" the products of fermentation, or decided to skip out on cold, slimy amphibians for a while to catalog brightly colored drinks with tiny umbrellas on a beach somewhere.;)

If you use a pop-up blocker, it is very easy to miss messages from our outstanding Moderation Team.

Occasionally, thanks to the magic of the interweb, new posts never make it to the forums. It happens every so often.

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The thread was removed (not deleted) because it contained locality data which was rather specific and the forum rules prohibit it. Feel free to start a new thread if you wish, just don´t give any specific information on locality. You can provide it through PM if you so choose, but not in the public forums.
I hope you understand.

David Pinckney

Reaction score
The thread was removed (not deleted) because it contained locality data which was rather specific and the forum rules prohibit it. Feel free to start a new thread if you wish, just don´t give any specific information on locality. You can provide it through PM if you so choose, but not in the public forums.
I hope you understand.

No, I don't understand. What do you mean by "locality data"? Are you talking about geographic/county type info? Do we have to withhold the places we're at? I didn't see anything in here about that (and anyway, what are you protecting?):

Terms of Service (Forum Rules)

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you have registered you have already agreed to these rules.

Objectionable Material

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Caudata.org reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Although the administrators and moderators of Caudata.org will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Caudata.org, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

Due the nature of the newt and salamander hobby, there will be discussion of animal reproduction, including species mating accounts and terminology. By agreeing to these rules, all users (and in the case of minors, their parents) accept that posts of this nature may occur and are viewed as acceptable content.

Name Rule

Your profile is required to include a name. You may choose to not show this name to other users by editing your profile settings, but a name must be in the profile.

You agree that any information you provide to us is real (such as your name and e-mail address). Fraudulent and false information could lead to banning from the forum and possible legal proceedings for breach of confidence.

Country Rule

We take pride in the international nature of Caudata.org. For this reason, you are required to include your country of nationality in your profile (e.g. France). This is publicly viewable.

Civility

We do not allow personal attacks. Users may disagree with someone's idea, but users may not make derogitory comments about another person. We encourage all users to write in a civil manner, and the moderators and administrators will take steps to stop discussions that are heading toward a flame war.

By posting advice and information you agree that it is correct to the best of your knowledge. You also agree to refrain from posting fictional or false information. The moderators and administrators of Caudata.org will decide at their sole discretion if a user is posting false information, and they will penalise or ban users found to be repeatedly posting erroneous, misleading or malicious information.

Excessive Posting

We require all users to agree to a guideline of 8 messages per 24 hour period. Please do not exceed this limit unless it is absolutely necessary. Excessive posting, posting of the same message in multiple places and/or multiple times are considered a contravention of this rule and may result in your account being banned. This will be decided by the administrators of Caudata.org.

Misuse of Private Messaging

Users agree to not harass or spam other users of Caudata.org either through the private messaging system found on Caudata.org or directly through email addresses given in confidence by other Caudata.org users. Soliciting/harassment, discussion of illegal (according to US law) or socially unacceptable matters or practices, and contacting a user aged under 18 regarding specifically non site-related matters will result in a permanent ban and blacklisting of your IP address – this will not be reversed. This option can also be used at a moderator’s discretion. Most offences of this kind do not receive a warning for the first offence, so consider this that warning. This matter also pertains to the Privacy Policy (linked below), so please ensure you read that document too.

If you are the victim of a user misusing the private message system, please contact a moderator immediately and send them a copy of the offending message(s).

Standard English Usage

We require that English speakers not write in nonsense words (such as those used in text messages). Please refrain from the use of words like "gonna," and please use good grammar and punctuation. Remember that new subjects and sentences warrant the use of a capital letter. Proper punctuation will make your message much easier to understand, and thus improve the discussion. Banning won't occur for such offences, but we actively encourage moderators and users to lower the reputation of users who insist on speaking drivel. Non-native English speakers will not be penalized for grammatical errors.

No Commercial Links

We do not permit links to commercial websites of any kind. This includes links in signatures. By agreeing to this list of rules you agree to not link to commercial websites in your signature or profile and only to link to such sites when it is absolutely necessary in a discussion.

Intellectual Property Rights

Posts to this site may be permanent content available to the public on the Internet. By agreeing to these rules you are consenting to this fact. You may at any time request removal of content authored by you, but it will only be removed at the discretion of the administrators of Caudata.org.

Users retain copyright of their images, but by agreeing to these rules you allow any uploaded images to remain on this server. You may request their removal, but images will be removed at the discretion of the administrators of Caudata.org.

By agreeing to these rules are you also agreeing to the Privacy Policy. Click the link to open the Privacy Policy. in a new window so that you can review it before agreeing below.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Locality data is defined as data to any geographic level that provides simple directions for someone of reasonable knowledge of herps directly to where you found that species. For instance: I could say I found Carolina parakeets in Jackson Co, Illinois. That's fine. There are lots of areas of Jackson County that would be suitable habitat. However, I could NOT say that I found Carolina Parakeets in the bottoms off Inspiration Point. That's a very distinct point on the map, and someone could find that site with no trouble at all.

We do not allow the posting of locality data because some people lurk on the forum for immoral purposes. We'd like to limit their actions as much as we can.

The policy can be found here.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1