Melanistic A. maculatum?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
So I was out herping a few weeks back and came across this unusual fellow. Pictures really don't do it justice as it has an even more purple coloration in person. I have seen literally thousands of spotted salamanders in the wild and this is the first one I have ever came across that looks anything remotely like this.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• spotted sal.jpg
    spotted sal.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5,146
It very well could be a "spotless" spotted salamander. We actually have a population of this variation about 20 miles south of DC!

That is an amazing animal. I, like you, have seen many spotteds in my life; but none like that!
What a A. maculatum!:eek:

Yep, see the rare spotless spotted every now and again, and have heard of spotless populations. I'm not sure if it's just a pattern aberrancy or if its a recessive trait though.

Wow, nice find Justin. Never seen a maculatum quite like this.

Sure it's not a hybrid? Those ambystoma sure do like to hybridize. Gotta love kleptogenesis :D Either way looks pretty cool.

Sure it's not a hybrid? Those ambystoma sure do like to hybridize. Gotta love kleptogenesis :D Either way looks pretty cool.

Positive. Only other Ambystoma in range of where I found this girl is opacum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back