Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disposable gloves toxic to amphibians

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a paper published recently about the effects of disposable gloves on tadpoles.
http://www.parcplace.org/Cashins_etal_2008_glovesandtads .pdf

Many people/institutions have been using dispo gloves to handle amphibians, believing that it's safer because no germs/oils/lotions are transmitted from human skin to the skin of the amphib. However, it appears that all glove types (latex, nitrile, vinyl) have some level of toxicity, at least to tadpoles. Of the options, well-rinsed vinyl gloves appear to be the only acceptable option.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
We just had this discussion in the German board a few weeks ago. It may be worth mentioning, too, that the gloves should not be the kind with powder inside of them.

-Eva

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing Jen!

Up to now I only knew that latex gloves are dangerous to amphibia and nitril was recommended as a better alternative.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do gloves compare to well washed hands?
Compare in what regard? For safety for an individual salamander, I think rinsed vinyl gloves versus well-rinsed hands may be of similar risk (both could have some stuff that is bad, but generally safe). But in situations where it's important not to cross-contaminate animals/enclosures, gloves are obviously better.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Perhaps instead of gloves people should be using plastic bags over their hands?(is polyethlene as used in fish bags toxic to amphibians?).

pixolite

Reaction score
Thanks for the post Jen! And that is a good point, I wonder about the plastic bags myself. This may be stupid, but what I'm reading here is that it's equally as dangerous to use gloves, if not more, than just using bare hands? Unless you are trying not to cross contaminate, correct?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what I'm reading here is that it's equally as dangerous to use gloves, if not more, than just using bare hands? Unless you are trying not to cross contaminate, correct?
That is my interpretation also, although the paper doesn't address this issue. Hands may be safer, as long as one is careful about what is on the hands. Soaps, lotions, household chemicals, etc, could be worse than rinsed gloves.

psycotropy

Reaction score
i have found with my limited axolotl raising that introducing another chemical ie the residue from disposable gloves either non-powdered or powdered. i agree that the only safe handling of any type of aquatic pet be with you very clean hands.

Lugubris

Reaction score
All plastics, rubbers, foams, resins ect... by their nature leach chemicals or tiny particles to a certain extent, none of which can be good for amphibians. The less you use around them the better. I think if you need to use gloves the best option would be to use food preparation gloves because the FDA sets regulations about the type and amount of toxins that leach out of such products.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1