Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What species

Doomus

Reaction score
So I picked these little guys up and was told that the were leuthisic T.carnifex and was wondering do you agree and if not any ideas what they are

5df831491f6c0791832e698523dd95ad.jpg

6a29893dadadc249da450d2a1f7cecd7.jpg

A belly shot
328a09b94f8fbf2d9c14d22074146332.jpg

edfd1b558984ba5fa3ba6850e13de330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomus

Reaction score
Yea looked at some pics and I'm pretty sure there Ommatotriton ophryticus thanks for the help :D

otolith

Reaction score
Wow, definitely not Triturus. The white blotches on the head definitely look like Ommatotriton which is quite a surprise as they are incredibly rare (dare I say Non-existent?)in the hobby in North America. Lissotriton is another (more likely?) possibility but I've never seen juveniles have that coloration on the head. Whatever they are I am incredibly jealous.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, definitely not Triturus. The white blotches on the head definitely look like Ommatotriton which is quite a surprise as they are incredibly rare (dare I say Non-existent?)in the hobby in North America. Lissotriton is another (more likely?) possibility but I've never seen juveniles have that coloration on the head. Whatever they are I am incredibly jealous.

There is a recent-ish thread somewhere on here with a link to a Turkish 'breeder' selling Ommatotriton as Triturus, I will see if I can find it.

Doomus

Reaction score
I know that these guys came from Amsterdam but I'm not sure where they were originally bred

otolith

Reaction score
Doomus, did the "breeder" you got these from have more available?

Doomus

Reaction score
I first saw them at a expo last week and a local shop ended up buying a bunch of them and that's how I acquired them and yeah they have a bunch more...Dutch dragon imports was from who they came from but where they got them I'm not sure

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1