White vs black worm

Schroedermi17

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael
Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

Hello!

I just wondering if either really has an advantage over the other. I know white worms culture faster but black worms can live in the water with the larvae/fish for as long as needed to be consumed. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks!
you mean nutritional value?

Whiteworms are very low in minerals at around 5%, so they really need dusting with a calcium supplement if you are feeding them often. I sometimes feed my terrestrial juvies whiteworms raised on wholemeal bread with Repashy Superpig and nutrabal sprinkled on it, but I'm not sure how much ends up in the worms.
I don't know much about blackworms, they aren't that easy to find in the UK. I think If I could find a reliable supplier I'd use them a lot for raising aquatic larvae.

Dear Michael, why does it have to be one if the other?
I like it that pinhead crickets and drosophila survive a couple of days in my salamander enclosures unlike chopped segments of worms which die over night and if uneaten could cause issues. Yet I prefer feeding worms but can't always get into the garden to dig them up. Plus there's the added, and fundamental, bonus that I'm offering a range of foods which will hopefully provide for the nutritional requirements of animals.

I'm just wondering cause a have a few northern 2 liner brook salamander larvae that are already on frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I was just wondering cause I know they would like a variety! Not to mention I have about 100 goldfish eggs hatching right now and once they get big enough I bet they'd love live food haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back