Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ill gray treefrog

Bill B

Reaction score
This is in a vivarium of mine. Yesterday, I found it looking very ill. Belly skin seems very transparent, and I see those white spots inside. Any idea what is going on?

Attachments

• 0908181737b.jpg
    0908181737b.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 617
  • 0908181737c.jpg
    0908181737c.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 376

merman

Reaction score
Not a Gray expert, bur since the species is so prolific, I have never heard of captive bred Grays, so I am assuming this one was wild caught. Looks like possible fly / wasp larvae infestation? That, and the paralyzed state indicates nervous system compromise. Animal should be removed and quarantined. When eggs erupt, the maggots will consume the frog. Sorry, 100% fatal. Wasp poisons are designed to paralyze all but the minimum respiratory functions so the embedded larvae develop in peace.

Bill B

Reaction score
Not a Gray expert, bur since the species is so prolific, I have never heard of captive bred Grays, so I am assuming this one was wild caught. Looks like possible fly / wasp larvae infestation? That, and the paralyzed state indicates nervous system compromise. Animal should be removed and quarantined. When eggs erupt, the maggots will consume the frog. Sorry, 100% fatal. Wasp poisons are designed to paralyze all but the minimum respiratory functions so the embedded larvae develop in peace.

Think this was one I raised from a tadpole.

I think it is now dead. I will remove it.

Bill B

Reaction score

I think I saw signs of parasites in this one shortly after it metamorphosed -- maybe nematodes under the skin on the back -- but it seemed health anyway for quite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!