Tank Setup & Size...

N

nicole

Hello all! I need some advice as I am getting my much anticipated first axie in a couple weeks!

Now first the tank,
I don't want to spend a fortune. So I found a used 30 gallon tank for sale in my town. It looks super nice and comes with a hood, a light and a standing filter and a stand for the tank. It's 2 ft wide,1 foot from front to back and 4ft high with the stand. They want $60 for it.
A- Is this a good deal?
B- Is this a suitable setup for a new juvenile axie?

I also need help aging the tank. What exactly am I supposed to do? Im a total novice at this so any help is much appretiated.

Thanks in advance!

-Nicole

hello nicole, welcome to the forum
happy.gif

that sounds like a gud size tank for one juvenile axie. sounds like a pretty good deal to me. when you say aging the tank do you mean cycling? check this out http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml its a very good article on cycling. remember, try not to get gravel as the axies have a good chance of swallowing them by accident and could die. i have sand and it looks great.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on May 27, 2006)

I think the tank sounds great and i recon u could fit a few in it and as for cycling the tank Put in enough ammonia (from hardware store) to bring the ppm level to 4-5 use a test kit (from all pet shops) to find this level when level goes down to 0 ppm
(approx a day) bring back up to 4-5ppm do this daily until the ppm goes down to o in 24 hours and the nitrites shoot up high half the amount of ammonia when nitrites also go down to 0 ppm in 24 hrs and the nitrates shoot up your tank is cycled do a large 70 % water change then ad fish within 24 hrs if cant get fish within 24 hours do not do the large water change and keep adding ammonia as usual

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back