Aneides lugubris color change

jpfloyd

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried to research this, but with no success with which I am satisfied, so I ask you:

is it common knowledge/are you aware that A. lugubris can change colors as can some reptiles and amphibians?

I have a group of about twenty A. lugubris hatchlings and yesterday I noticed that, just as my Pacific Tree Frogs ([FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Hyla regilla, perhaps) can, the lugubris young modify their body color when they climb up the walls of the translucent plastic container in which I have them.

On the quite dark substrate they are, well, quite dark; but when they spend any time up on the walls of the plastic container, their pigmentation lightens markedly.

When I first noticed this, (yesterday) I returned the individuals in question to the substrate and in three hours could not tell which ones they were, as their color had darkened to match their siblings.

Is this news, or am I traveling down a well worn path?

Oh, and thank you rust, without you and caudata.org, I wouldn't have twenty young to observe.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Well congrats on the clutch. Are they captive bred or from wild caught adults?

As for color changes I can't say I've ever noticed anything significant with mine. I do see some slight lightening, but there's never any correlation with substrate color the best I can tell. Now as hatchlings they are slightly translucent, maybe it's just light passing through them on the clear walls.

Well congrats on the clutch. Are they captive bred or from wild caught adults?

As for color changes I can't say I've ever noticed anything significant with mine. I do see some slight lightening, but there's never any correlation with substrate color the best I can tell. Now as hatchlings they are slightly translucent, maybe it's just light passing through them on the clear walls.

Thanks! They are from two wild caught adults. Last winter I got the adults (they are very common here) and they laid the clutch last July which hatched out this fall.

I've looked at them as per your suggestion and plan to do a few experiments to see if I can document any such color change.

Thanks for the reply!

I have noticed this in Aneides aeneus, but in greens it seems to be related to temperature (as in many frogs). The warmer they are the brighter green they get. When cold they can turn a dark grayish-green color.

-Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back