Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long will my axolotl survive in warm water?

Munchausen

Reaction score
Today the temperature of my axolotl's tank went down from its usual 68 degrees farenheight to 78! I threw away his ice bottles, thinking he wouldn't need them anymore because its been so cool, how long can he survive in this temperature? Its in the mid 50s outside tonight, I've opened the windows, but it'll take a long time for the 30 gallon aquarium to get cold.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
At best maybe a few days. I would seriously either do a 50% water change or temporarily stick the axolotl in the fridge.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If it's cool at night and you can open the windows, try closing them during the day and closing the curtains. Open them in the cool evening and leave them open overnight, then close them again when the morning starts to warm up. In this way you can get the entire room quite chilly and the tank will be correspondingly cooler. Otherwise, as Justin wrote, a vacation in the fridge it is!

Good luck to you both,

-Eva

Aimee

Reaction score
On really warm days, I sometimes move a fan in front of the tank and then use a spray bottle that I keep in the fridge to spray cold water on the tank glass. The evaporation on the tank glass helps a few degrees. By spraying the glass every so often in conjunction with frozen water bottles, I can usually keep my axie's tank at 66-70 degrees F even when its over 100 degrees F outside.

Good Luck :happy:

AxolotlWildType

Reaction score
My Wild Type is really god with heat, and is able to cope due to the fact he stays near the cold areas and senses heat easily. You'll want to keep the axolotl near those cold areas and not the hot areas (for me, the right part of my tank)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1