Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling a terrestrial setup? and a teeny bit of species mixing.

T

tyler

I have a new tank that I would like to fill but I have know clue what to fill it with. Would it be ok to cycle the tank as if I was getting an aquatic newt and then drain it if I decided to get a terrestrial salamander? Or would the beneficial bacteria and possible algae sticking to the glass disturb the salamander.

Ok the big species mixing question. Is it ok to mix a Taricha Granulosa Granulosa with a Tarich Granulosa Marzimae? <- not sure about spelling.

Thanks for your help this site will always be the best reference for caudate fans.

E

edward

Terrestrial enclosures that contain soil do not need to be cycled as the soil supports far more of the bacteria that process ammonia than does any aquatic enviroment.

In addition, if you cycle without any animals in it, you have to keep feeding the bacteria until you put animals in it otherwise the tank will cycle and then recycle when the animals are added.

Ed

J

jennifer

I would add that there is no problem with taking an aquatic tank and emptying it and turning it into a terrarium. Any residual bacteria or algae would be harmless (assuming there was no disease in the animals that used to be in it).

Personally, I would not mix two subspecies of Taricha granulosa, just in case they mated and produced offspring. Also, you would still need to quarantine before putting them together, as I assume the animals would be coming from different localities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!