Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aneides lugubris Double-Clutch Club

R

russ

OK, I'm in the club now, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing. I was feeding this afternoon and found my big old Seaside female half exposed with some eggs trailing her. Very unusual considering she has always deposited them properly under cover. Though I did just put her in a new (clean) container 12Jul06, so the recent disturbance may be to blame. After loosing her 40+ clutch from this spring, having removed them, I've decided to let these take their own course and hopefully a few are actually hanging in the right place.

68500.jpg

E

erik

Well I (sort of) have a double clutch also-although from 2 different females. Both my long term girls laid within a week of each other.

In other Aneides news: I also have a female A.aeneus guarding a clutch right now. I am extremely excited about that! I wanted to get some pics, but was scared to take any risks at this point. Maybe next week I'll try to sneak a pic or two.

R

russ

This one caught me off guard because after four seasons of using the upside down clay pot bottoms, she has decided to use the underside of a slab of bark.

Is the female aeneus the one I gave you? I wouldn't bother her either, just too good to screw up for a peek. I'm pretty sure one of my A.vagrans has deposited somewhere. She was loaded and I haven't seen her in three weeks which is very unusual, but I'm reluctant to go poking around in the container.

P

paris

have you got a spare female russ? turns out all 3 of the offspring from my first batch that i kept are all male-or at least it seems that way. all have long teeth and one is starting to get its butt kicked by the others-which means at least 2 males in the group of 3. the long term co habitation of my original WC male with his female isnt doing well either. she is fine but must be stressing him out since hes been loosing weight-a lot of weight. i have him separated now but since she looks gravid i put one of her sons in with her just in case.

R

russ

That's illegal in most states besides AR (LOL!). The fighting is definitely a sign of a fraternity problem. I'll PM you.

P

paris

ever seen the mating dance? hes acting like a lizard almost to her now. hes head butting and bobbing trying to keep her attention.

R

russ

No. I hear the Ensatina do a good jig too. You'd think after all these years and so many specimens I'd witness something, prudes.

K

kyle

Haha, I must admit, your wit about these creatures humors me Russ. Thanks for the chuckle and congrats on the clutch. What a fascinating bunch of animals to have recurring success with. Good luck with the eggs.

R

russ

Well, my double clutch had dwindled to one egg so I decided to remove it today. This is the first time this female has consumed hanging eggs, though she commonly ate any eggs lying on the ground. I suspect having cleaned her cage so recently before she deposited may have been more disturbance than she could tolerate. This is also the longest I ever left eggs with her, but I know she ate most of them a few weeks ago. So here's a pic of the lonely embryo, it probably has another 20 days to go. As a consolation though I found a clutch of A.vagran eggs today!!! No pics though, I'm going to leave them with the female and try not to disturb her too much.

<center>
70763.jpg
</center>

K

kyle

Thats a shame Russ, good luck with that last little egg though, it looks to be doing well.

Keep us updated on the vagrans, you definitely have a way with this genus -
Kyle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1