Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A.lugubris breeding club

E

erik

After 7 years of infertile eggs with A.vagrans...

I am finally ready to join the A.lugubris breeding club,at least I think I am. The eggs look fertile and healthy, my fingers are crossed. My girl seems to be pretty late compared to Russ and Paris' animals.

I only took one pic..didn't want to disturb her too much.

43150.jpg

P

paris

yea erik! your membership badge and pledge book will arrive in the mail soon.....
smile6.gif
how many eggs does she have?

E

erik

I didn't count, but it was a lot more than I have ever seen with A.vagrans. My vagrans always lay 10-15 so this female must have laid at least 20.

This really is an ideal Plethodontid for people to keep. They are very adaptable to temperatures and humidity and might be one of the few Plethodontids that could be sustained as a captive born population.

R

russ

Awesome, the fraternity is growing. Wow, all of my Aneides have been April/May. Great, now I have to start paying closer attention this time of year??

My vagrans laid over 20+ this year, and a flav had ~12, but they were all either infertile or I just ruined them (separation?).

I have to agree about lugubris. With their size and adaptability they make excellent captive. Hopefully the dispersal of captives will help establish these firmly in the community. I'm looking forward to producing my first F2s in ~2007.

Keep us posted.

E

erik

F2's would be awesome. I wasn't expecting eggs this time of year. A lot of my female Aneides, Ensatinas and Desmognathus yolked up this spring, but this was the only one that did anything. I'm building a new salamander room so hopefully next year I'll do better.

N

nate

Congrats Erik! I agree with everyone here, very weird timing for the eggs. Hope all goes well with the hatching.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1