Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Big" Dwarf salamander (Eurycea quadridigitata complex)

N

nate

I had a chance to do some limited herping in Sam Houston National forest in SE TExas and found the biggest Eurycea quadridigitata I've ever seen. The record length for this species is 9.0cm and I really thought this one was longer. Turns out it was right around 8.9cm
sick.gif

37072.jpg

37073.jpg

37074.jpg

R

ralf

Nice pics, Nate. However, for measurement you should use one of those compressible rulers. The kind that is made for anglers and hunters.
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by ralf on June 01, 2005)

J

john

eh, call it 9.0 and be done with it.... there's a good 0.5mm in the very slightly kinked tail and abdomen :D

BTW, how do you get them to be still for measurements? Do you anesthetize or something?

N

nate

Yep, I knocked her out with MS-222 anesthetic. It's the only way to be sure on these things.

J

john

Nate, i found Argent labs as a source of supply. They offer a 5g bottle for just under $20. Does that sound like a decent price? I'd really like to take more measurements and weighings of mine. Any pointers of safe usage?

N

nate

Yes, quite decent. I found the recommended dosages did not always knock out my subjects. You're going to have to experiment a bit. Generally, as soon as the animal stops moving, I remove them from the anesthetic. Despite anesthetizing hundreds of animals, I've never lost an animal and so this stuff is very forgiving.

You shouldn't need to anesthetize for weighings or most species lengths, I just did this in case it was a record-breaker.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!