Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine Newt (Mesotriton alpestris) set-up?

philbaker76

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been offered some Alpine Newts. I've toyed with the idea of keeping some Newts in the past ~ but never got around to it.

Done some reading up on them ~ including the caudata.org care sheet.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_alpestris.shtml

They are Mesotriton alpestris ~ I'm assuming they are Mesotriton alpestris alpestris and come with papers (or something) from the guy who bred them. I'll try and identify them myself when I see them.

Just wanted to get some advice/feedback/tips from any members that keep (or have kept) these newts.

I like the idea of having a mainly aquatic set-up ~ as I'm used to managing these; with my Axolotls. OK ~ here are my questions... (sorry if they're repeated posts - I did search the forum before posting).
  1. I'm considering a 2 or 3ft tank ~ how many (adult) Apline Newts could I happily keep together?
  2. Will a mainly aquatic set-up be OK for M.a. alpestris some care sheets suggest they are more terrestrial than other M.a. species. If not ~ how much (%) land space will they need?
  3. I read somewhere that males can be terratorial; is this true?
  4. Finally, from reading up on them - they seem pretty easy to keep; but are they a good novice species?
Thanks in advance.
Phil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1