Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Arm Injury

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got two axolotls who live quite peacefully together and I've never had any trouble with the two. One slightly bigger than the other but this hasn't ever caused problems, keeping the pair well fed has been the secret to keeping the harmony.

Having been confined to my bed for the past few days with illness I haven't had a chance to feed my little madams. I've had a look in the tank this morning and my smaller one appears to have had a very nasty bite to her arm. The arm is in tact, but it's all fleshy and bloody and kind of gross really (sorry can't put it any better). It looks like her skin has been ripped off.

Any advice on what I can do for her? I can't really separate the two because I don't have the room or the resources. But I don't want further problems.

Here's a picture of the poor girl. I feel quite sorry for her because she only had three arms when we got her and now she's lost the other one.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/michaelwb-albums-hayden-picture18980-hayden-injury.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Soupdragon

Reaction score
Hey,

I hope you are feeling better.

Id say your axoltls got hungry and turned on each other.
Keep a very close eye on it and maybe give them a good feed so it doesnt happen again.

If you notice any fungus(looks like cotton wool)on the wound, you will need to fridge her and give her saltbaths until it improves.

Keep us updated on how they are getting on.

MichaelWB

Reaction score
I am feeling better thanks for asking! Nothing two days in bed and day at home feeling fine but resting can't solve!

I fed them this morning and they seemed quite hungry. Poor ol' Hayden ate without any fuss and she seems to be okay in her character. I don't think her injury is affecting her mood or anything.

How will I be able to tell if there is fungus though. As you can see by the photo the wound is quite white anyway? I hope that's just flesh and not fungus? Surely it wouldn't be that bad already? I'm sure one of you clever axolotl types know!

Cheers

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Whoa sorry for double posting.

Have come down this morning to find my poor axolotl has the same problem on her other front leg. It's not as bad as the last one but it's still pretty upsetting. I can't believe they've lived together fine for the last month and now this happens. I did feed them yesterday, so I don't know if they were hungry?

I'm still terrified about the prospect of fungus though. Like, she has sort of white furry lumps sort of err where her shoulders would be I guess, but they're pretty symmetrical. I don't know whether this is fungus or just axolotl flesh? (never thought I'd ever have to type such a thing in all my life)

Any advice other than keeping the tank clean and cool? I can't separate the two because of space and resources so there's probably not a lot I can do about that. I've got lots of hides and shelters and things, so the two rarely even see each other. Any suggestions as to why one of my axolotls is being a jerk to the other one all a sudden?

Cheers,

Mike

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike.

Any advice other than keeping the tank clean and cool? I can't separate the two because of space and resources so there's probably not a lot I can do about that. I've got lots of hides and shelters and things, so the two rarely even see each other. Any suggestions as to why one of my axolotls is being a jerk to the other one all a sudden?

If the axolotl has suffered yet another injury, they really should be separated. But, this doesn't necessarily mean you need to put them in a separate enclosure. A couple of suggestions:

- A tank divider. Aquariums sell these. Or, with some ingenuity, you can make one of your own.

- An large icecream container (or tupperware) to house the injured axolotl, and float it on the surface of the tank. You will need to change the axolotl's water out each day, you can use the aquarium water for the water changes.

- Or, you can keep the injured party in a tub (or bucket) without floating it on the tank, but just ensure it's put in a cool place, and above all, a safe place; if you have a cat, don't trust the cat!

Are you able to post a photo of the new injury? To post photos directly to the thread, here is a guide: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general-topics/f5-general-discussion-news-members/f1174-forum-questions/55492-how-post-pictures.html

Being kept cool, clean, and well fed on a nutritious diet, will help the axolotl tremendously when it comes to healing and regenerating those limbs. If I may, what does their main diet consist of? If you are not feeding these to your axolotls already, I highly recommend earthworms - they contain all the nutrition an axolotl needs in one wriggling package.

Last edited:

jinian

Reaction score
"White furry lumps" doesn't sound good to me. My axolotl had to grow back three legs when I got him and I never saw anything white or furry, just clean stumps, so it's certainly not a required stage of regeneration and it does sound like it could be fungus. Of course photos would help, though. You said her skin was kind of shredded, so it could also be that. Poor little axie!

A tank divider does sound like a good way to go. Pity they're having trouble, but if it's happened twice it's not just a freak occurrence.

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I'm feeding my axies earthworms. Always have always will. Nothing better than watching an axolotl thrashing around with earthworms in their mouths. So I'm glad that is okay. She's eating fine though she seems a little bit quiet.

I caught the two madams sitting on top of each other earlier and sitting next to each other so I don't think they're hostile towards each other or anything, but I am sad that this has happened again. Am still deciding the best course of action, I'll have a look at my local aquatics dealer tomorrow to see if they have any tank dividers.

I haven't had a chance to take any further photos because she has spent most of this evening (when I've been around) either at the back of the tank or hiding in a flower pot, so I haven't seen her out in the open much today, except for when I fed her this morning.

And yeah, it wasn't a clean biting off of the limb, it was just a nip/bite, so it's a bit red. Other members of the household seem to think it's dead skin especially since it's visible on the "new injury as well." I'll keep an eye on it! They've been together for about a month now and I thought they were getting on splendidly, and then this happens. I'm really hoping it was out of hunger and nothing else.

I will edit this post with some snaps if Hayden ventures out from under her log tonight!

Edit: Her "arms" are looking better a lot better today. I think they're healing nicely. It's probably because she's feeling the love. Also feel free to tell me how beautiful she is :)

Cheers

Attachments

• Hi4.jpg
    Hi4.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,498
  • hi5.jpg
    hi5.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 6,329
  • HaydenInjury1.jpg
    HaydenInjury1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,171
Last edited:

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Quick update:

Managed to spend part of my weekend constructing a divider. Feel quite sorry for the two because they don't have as much room to play in now but it's for the best!

Hayden is eating and doing usual axolotl things, she doesn't seem to bothered by the injuries. The redness has gone down and it's just a matter of time until the skin grows back properly. They're looking like they're healing quite nicely. Everything seems to be clean and tidy in there which is good,

Thanks for your helps everyone!

memojo1979

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, as I've only experienced fungus once before, but I was constantly worrying before, as to whether I'd be able to identify it. It's unmistakable when you actually see it. I was scrutinising my golden when she had an injury, especially tricky since she has pale skin anyway + the dead skin from an injury can look somewhere cottonwool-ish, but she never got any thankfully. I later needed to care for a wildtype who had an injury + when s/he got fungus, it looked fluffy + now I don't worry any more over whether I'll see fungus when it 1st appears, because it's so distinctive ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!