The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 15th January 2017   #1
ConcernedOwner

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ConcernedOwner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can rainwater be used

Hi everyone. I'm about to move house to a country farm in Australia where the only supply of water is (tank) rainwater. The system isn't new, but fine to drink from. I've checked the pH and it is in the acidic range, approx 6pH but was easily able to raise the pH with a PH Up liquid. My question is, can axolotls survive on rainwater if the pH is altered to be alkaline? Does anyone know about the lack of minerals in the water and have any strategies to compensate for this?

Thanks everyone, would appreciate any suggestions.

ConcernedOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Can rainwater be used

Please don't use pH up - it's not good for axies. If you're adding a remineraliser or salts of some kind it should help correct the pH anyway. Axies are fine at 6.8-8.

Old 15th January 2017   #3
ConcernedOwner

Nationality:

Is there a particular remineraliser you would recommend or are aquarium salts enough? Do you also know how much I should use per 10L?

Old 15th January 2017   #4
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You need to test the hardness of your well water first.

Old 15th January 2017   #5
ConcernedOwner

Nationality:

I'm heading out today so I will get a sample and test for pH, ammonia and nitrites. It's a rainwater tank (not a well) so I'm unsure what else could be there. I assume you mean pH when you say hardness? I'll check this afternoon and then post

Old 16th January 2017   #6
ConcernedOwner

Nationality:

Ok so the pH read as 6.0, however, that's as low as the test will go so I'm not sure if its actually lower than that

Old 4th February 2017   #7
Montecarlo

Nationality:
Rep: Montecarlo has given consistently good advice and informationMontecarlo has given consistently good advice and informationMontecarlo has given consistently good advice and information

I'm in Australia too amd using rain water. pH is fine but I would be interested in how to test harness. I would be interested in how to test water hardness as I imagine rainwater is very soft.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Montecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Asher904

Nationality:
Rep: Asher904 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this post is old but, does anyone else use rain water? And ph Up is a form of baking soda and that isnt safe safe for lotls?

Asher904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #9
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Rep: KumquatSquats is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont use rainwater but my local drinking water is low pH and acidic, i did a lot of research and figured out that Axolotls need some electrolytes in their environment. they may survive without them but they thrive with them, people with hard water are lucky in that regard. when i first got my babies home i just had seachem prime and a pH/Ammonia/ Nitr+/-te test kit, my water was in the safe perimeters but on the bottom end for pH, when i got my GH/KH test i found out i was at a 1 for both Axolotls like a minimum 7 GH! since then ive raised it to 7 and all my babies are looking WAY better, nice fluffy gills and good color

please get a GH and KH test kit, GH can be raised with axolotl safe aquarium fertilizers. im using seachem equilibrium but i bet if you research you can find others that would work.
im raising KH with a pinch of baking soda currently (be careful doing this, i have to watch pH like a hawk if my measurements are off) but i plan on buying and making my own modified Holtfreter's Solution eventually for more consistent conditions

found this recipe but obviously you should test batches with your own water and tweak it until its closer to ideal axolotl GH and KH, remember to check pH before using with your pets.
Adding electrolytes to the water also works as a buffer for pH, giving you more stable conditions in the long run

**i didnt write this, google gave it to me when i looked up "Holtfreter's Solution" **

Holtfreter's Solution Metric System (This makes 1 liter at 100% concentrate.)

- Salt (NaCl) WITHOUT IODINE 3.46g

- Potassium Chloride (KCl) 0.05g

- Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 0.1g

- Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 0.2g

- - - - - Or in American

Potassium Chloride (KCl) 1/4 teaspoon

Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 3/4 teaspoon

Epsom Salt (MgSO4) 1/2 tablespoons

Salt (NaCl) WITHOUT IODINE 4 tablespoons

WARNING: THIS MAKES 11 GALLONS OF SOLUTION AT 100% CONCENTRATE

The ideal dilution is about 40%-50% so if your in the US and have 22 gallons of water IN the tank add the whole thing. So basically, half of your water should be this solution.
TOO MUCH OF THIS SOLUTION WILL FRY OFF YOUR AXOLOTLS GILLS DO NOT PUT THEM IN 100% CONCENTRATE!

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote