Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick Axolotl?

XxIcefire

Reaction score
I was changing my axolotl’s water yesterday and I noticed these red dots on him (I know he’s too young to be sexed, but I’m holding out hope). I’m thinking the one on his tail is a bite as I put him with my other one while cleaning the tubs.

https://imgur.com/a/bpHrJp3

A little info:
He’s almost 6 months old
The tank is not quite done so he’s in a tub with 100% daily water changes
Seems to be eating just fine

Cgilliam9x19

Reaction score
It doesn’t look alarming to me. I would just call it normal pigment. unless it gets worse, I wouldn’t worry about it :)

Kitan

Reaction score
No, that's not normal coloring. That is petechiae, which is blood under the surface of the skin (think like what you get from a hickey or if you bang your thumb with a hammer). That really could ALL be from another axolotl, but could also be the start of something more concerning, though I dont expect it is.

Honestly my suggestion is, if he is eating/pooping well, and you are doing 100% daily water changes, then there likely isnt anything to be concerned about. Keep doing what you are doing and just keep an eye on him. If while segregated he continues to get more spots, then come back and we'll see what we can find out, but I expect he is okay :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!