Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl broken tail?

MattIX

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I’ve never needed to post on here before but I’m in need of some advice.

I have had my Axie for just over half a year now. He has been doing great and is a lovely little guy with a fantastic personality.

Yesterday I noticed that his tail was bent at the tip and knowing this is a sign of stress I went to investigate. He was showing no other signs of stress, still eating, gills back, acting completely normal, however his tail is so bent that it looks like the tip of his tail bone is poking through his skin.

He is in a well planted, 23 gallon tank with no tank mates and the water parameters are;

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
PH between 7.8 and 8.4 (with regular water changes)

My only thought is that he has damaged it somehow, or is there something more serious that could be causing it?

Any opinions or help would great!
Thanks,
Matt.

Attachments

• B7318F24-3216-4340-ABD7-07B86623CA30.jpg
    B7318F24-3216-4340-ABD7-07B86623CA30.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 619
  • 55516F7E-6A59-4B5F-82BC-8A64BF7CEF6D.jpg
    55516F7E-6A59-4B5F-82BC-8A64BF7CEF6D.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 362

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Is it on the surface or does it look like the bone is sticking out?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I just re-read your post, ignore the one above haha.
Are there any small spaces in the tank the axolotl could have gotten stuck in, causing the issue? It should heal up fine, but he may be left with a wonky tail. You could potentially amputate the end of the tail, or take it to a vet to do it.

MattIX

Reaction score
Thank you for responding!

I’ve been trying to work out if there is anything he could have got trapped on but there isn’t really. He does have a habit of swimming around like a lunatic at night and bumps into the glass a lot and he gets himself in strange positions sometimes so it could have happened then. I don’t think the bone has actually broken the skin so if it just means he’ll have a wonky tail I’m fine with that, as long as he’s healthy and not bothered by it. I was just worried it might have been something more serious.

Thanks again. Feeling a bit more calm about it now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!