Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl at store looks sick!!!

Thera Awakening

Reaction score
So this local fish/aquarium/reptile store I go to often and have bought from a lot through the past few years has this axolotl marked as ‘Extra Large Albino Axolotl’ for $80

I dont know what to do because it looks so so so skinny and sick and has no gills left.
I’m debating if I should talk to the manager/owner of the store and get them to give her to me for cheap so I can save her

What is everyone’s opinion on how she looks and what I should do?

Attachments

• 12C6BA18-EA2D-49D9-873D-A827A1557265.jpg
    12C6BA18-EA2D-49D9-873D-A827A1557265.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 476
  • AEE97CEB-A939-4D55-A0D8-A57E29CA3EA2.jpg
    AEE97CEB-A939-4D55-A0D8-A57E29CA3EA2.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 544

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Yes, it does look poorly kept. It appears that fish or other axies have been picking at the gills.
You could try, diplomatically, educating the store owner. Don't be surprised if they refuse to listen. I have tried many, many times over the years myself, and pet store owners and managers rarely respond with anything other than defensiveness.
You could offer to take the animal for free, but under no circumstances would I give them money for it. Maybe if it dies on them, they will stop carrying them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!