The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 26th August 2019   #1
Feenix Fisher
(Feenix)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: Feenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Axolotl changed colour WTF?

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member and have 2 female axolotyls (sisters) that I have had since they were tiny. One a Dirty Lucy the other a wild type. They are over 2 years old now and a couple of months ago, the wild type developed pale patches. I tubbed her, thinking it may be fungal but she didn't seem to be getting better. Then I had to leave the country for 3 weeks and left her in the care of my partner. When I got home there were 2 dirty Lucies in the tank and my partner told me one was Lila (the wild type). I was and am dumbfounded. She seems fine and is eating etc but a month and a half later shows no sign of returning to her former dark colour. What the hell is going on, does anyone know? The photo with her in the tub shows curled gills and was at the beginning when I 1st tubbed her, the white one in the tank is her now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190822_230944.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	55885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_200322.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	55886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_120333.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	635.0 KB
ID:	55887  

Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019   #2
Tye

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Tye has given good advice and informationTye has given good advice and information
Default Re: My Axolotl changed colour WTF?

Ok, this post has been on my mind for the past three days.
I don't think this is possible. The genetics for wild types and leucistics are completely different. I don't think a wild type can become a leucistic. I know colors can shift, but I'm not sure if they can shift this dramatically.
Can anyone else with more knowledge in axolotl colors and genetics chime in?
Has this happened to anyone else?

Because the only other thing I can think of is... are you sure your partner didn't buy a replacement axolotl while you were away? Granted, I know finding an adult of the same sex and size is pretty impressive and probably not likely, it's all I could think of...

Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019   #3
Neil C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

I had the same thing happen. I emigrated and gave my axolotls to some friends. When I returned for a visit several years later one of my wildtypes had become white. It wasn't as beautiful as yours but it was certainly not a wildtype anymore. My friends said that it had gradually become white over time much like an old person gets grey hairs. I've no reason not to believe them and as axolotl weren't easy to find where I lived I have no reason to believe that the wildtype died and was replaced by a leucisitic. Very strange.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've seen cases where dark axolotls have loss pigment, kind of like vitiligo. If you do a forum search on here you should be able to find some :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changed colour, dirty lucy, wild type