Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter question!

firegabe333

Reaction score
Hi! I have had my wild type axolotl, Nochtli, for 4 months now. He recently turned 1 year old, and he seems pretty darn happy. I’ve been using a Marina Slim Filter for his 20 gallon tank, and I recently came across some information about a sponge filter being a better option. I was wondering if it would positively impact his health if I switched over? And if I did, what are some good sponge filters to consider, and how does one go about maintaining a sponge filter?
Thanks in advance to anyone who answers me!

Ekmanor

Reaction score
What size or model is your filter? What makes you think a sponge filter is better? When I kept axolotls they were pretty messy. I’ve always kept smaller aquariums (no more than 40 gallons in most cases). And I’ve always used HOB filters that seem to get the job done. I use polyester filling for pillows (I always washed thoroughly and made sure no dyes or chemicals were used) the filter cartridges for filters are a joke imo but that’s just me- nothing wrong with them I just prefer not to use them. I also always took a sponge for aquariums and made a little cut in it and stuffed it onto the filter intake. That way babies wouldn’t be sucked into the filter and it also gave more room for beneficial bacteria to grow. I’m one of those people that believes “if it ain’t broke- don’t fix it” so I wouldn’t worry about your filter as long as it’s doing it’s job. Does it seem to bother your axolotl at all? I personally don’t see any health benefits but again I’m pretty biased towards HOBs lol. Hope I helped.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!