Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why does my axolotl seems to be snapping?

Ehhz

Reaction score
Hi there,

We recently brought home two male axolotls. They share a 40 gallon breeder. The breeder was feeding them daily earthworms and blackworms. We have been doing earthworms but can't seem to figure out if we are feeding them the right amount. When we drop the worm into the tank, the often snatch it up before it hits the bottom. If you wiggle your finger outside of the tank they snap too as if trying to eat it. The past 3 days when I have walked past the tank, one of the boys will snap at me. Could this possibly be his way of telling me he's hungry? We feed one red trout worm (Eisenia fetida) each daily. Could this not be enough for them? We've had them roughly 3 weeks now. They are fairly active and bodies are only slightly less wide than head.

EllieWind

Reaction score
That sounds like pretty normal feeding behavior. My axie boy snaps at me occasionally since he recognizes me and associates me with food. Axolotls are little gluttons and will sometimes "beg" for food even if they've just eaten. Your axolotls are just recognizing you as the one who feeds them. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1