The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd September 2019   #1
Akiso914
(akiso914)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: akiso914 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foods - Caterpillars

Hey - does anyone know if army worm caterpillars are ok as food? I have a couple fat ones in my (organic) garden and I would like to feed them to my girls for variety. Usually they eat worms, but I have given them various grubs in the past. The caterpillars are smooth and not hairy.

akiso914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019   #2
Josh
(JoshBA)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Foods - Caterpillars

They'd probably be perfectly fine.

However, the caterpillars may have some of the plant's secondary metabolites (defensive chemicals used by the plant in response to herbivory), either stored in their tissue or in their digestive tract. Maybe do some research on acquired plant defenses in lepidopterans if you're worried. I'd assume this would have a benign effect on the axolotl though (they are generalist feeders, after all).

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote