Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you know if your N. v. viridescens is ready to transform into its aquatic form?

Freyafox

Reaction score
Hello all, new here. As the title says I was wondering if there are any signs that point to when/if a red eft is ready to shift to its aquatic form. I was also wondering if there is a way to encourage a shift to aquatic form or if there is a criteria that needs to be met for them to feel the need to do so. One of my efts color has been slowly getting darker and I'm wondering if this means he may want access to water soon, I just don't want to do it too soon because he may drown otherwise (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm asking here because I was unable to find the answer with a Google search.

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi, I don't have experience with red efts but with firebellies I've just carefully tried when they have grown and been on land for a year (some raise them totally aquatic, not sure if this can be done with any species but if you want to read more you find the theme under Cynops thread) or so. First, I put water just a little bit, max. 5 cm about 1-2 inches?) and add so much plants that the little one can climb on them everywhere. I test if it will go hunting in the water (small earthworms or such live food). Slowly, during weeks raise the water level (every time only few centimeters/that is one inch?) and be sure newt is comfortable with it. Once, I was too early and finally had to take the newt back to "baby tank", it just wouldn't do anything in the water (about half a year later water was accepted).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1