Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted salamander and marbled salamander

jeskduh

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had a marbled salamander for quite some time now. He is rather large, larger than any marbled salamander I've ever seen. Even the guy at the pet store was impressed. Well anyways, the other day I bought a spotted salamander. His body is the same size as my marbled but of course the spotted has a much longer tail. The guy at the pet store told me it was ok to house the two salamanders in the same tank. Is this true? I've had them together for a few days now and I just wanted to get some other peoples advice on whether or not they can live in the same tank.
Thanks!

Allistor

Reaction score
Different species means that's not good or even close for cohabitation. So the answer is: no!

jeskduh

Reaction score
What is the reasoning for this? I've seen at pet shops marbled and dusky salamanders housed together. I also know some one that has his marbled salamander in a terrarium with different frogs. He's had this set up for years. I am just curious.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Hey. Well in fact in nature they share the same spots and logs but anyways I woudnt advise you at all to do it for several reasons.
1st- your new boy might have 1001 types of different parasites or diseases that could kill your long term captive and that would really suck loads for you I am assure of.
2st- This is captive live not their habitat as so both living in a tight small space isn't the same as living in a forest.

There's the nuclear reasons you should be aware of.

Cheers,

jaster

Reaction score
Another note: Pet shops are horrible. They have very bad housing practices for herps and most people have no idea about what they need. There are exceptions, but not many....

Keeping them separate would be best (above reasons).

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with El Jorgo. They occupy very similar niches in the wild, but the fact is that your spotted salamander is guaranteed to have been wild-caught, and could be harboring who knows what.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!