Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chiller temperature fluctuations

feyd

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Been using this place for a while now but my first post now. I have two little black axolotl, Spike and Drucilla. They’re going great but I’m always trying to make their lives more luxurious

I’ve recently invested in a chiller as it is coming into the warmer times of the year in Australia. Managed to have it all set up yesterday and it does an awesome job of cooling but I’m just a bit concerned about the fluctuations in temperature. The chiller will lower one degree Celsius in about 30-40 mins and then turns off at the desired temperature. It then takes about an hour and 30 mins to go back up a degree before turning on again.

I know it is only one degree but do you think this could be an issue for my axolotl?

As a side note have any of you had issues with a loud chiller?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1