Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Aquarium Kit or Handpick?

basilstorm

Reaction score
Thoughts on buying an aquarium kit vs. assembling a tank from a bunch of different brands for the filter, thermometer, etc. I can't find a 20 gallon long aquarium kit I like, so I'm leaning towards handpicking my own tank and features, but I want a secondary opinion before I say for sure.

Tye

Reaction score
I bought all the things for my axie aquarium separately. Mostly because, like you said, there's no "kit" for 20 longs that I could find. You also get to pick the filter out personally and can get a better quality one than is available in most kits. I set my aquarium up two years ago and I'm still running most of the same equipment. For me, it was more useful to hand pick all of the items, since axies aren't fish and their equipment is varied slightly.

I did get a "kit" for my ten gallon betta aquarium. It wasn't sold as one, but the tank had a coupon book for all the things that go in a tank, so I just used that. A little lower quality, but my betta doesn't seem to mind.

basilstorm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I decided to hand pick stuff, and I was able to order everything from a local petstore

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!