My axolotl hatchlings arent growing. help

Duchessez

Reaction score
Country
United States
These guys hatched about a month or two ago and started grew a decent amount and it appears that they have stopped growing. They are about 1.5cm long and do not have legs yet. I feed them baby brine shrimp twice a day. Is there anything i can do for them or is this normal? help.

Attachments

• DA45C359-F2C5-4622-A41F-E472560FD4D5.jpeg
    DA45C359-F2C5-4622-A41F-E472560FD4D5.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 21F01B2C-F264-4FD9-A1E9-FCA549148B1C.jpeg
    21F01B2C-F264-4FD9-A1E9-FCA549148B1C.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 306
Are you changing the water after the brine shrimp feedings? Do you have an air stone?

yes and i have an air stone in the tank but not in the container itself

I think you need to rear them in their own separate tank and not in a container in the grown axolotls' tank.

More space and frequent water changes will help them grow. Same concept as raising baby fish.

Good luck.

oh okay thank you

Good luck.

I had the exact "baby tank" you have in your photos and once kept a single fish in it inside a 20 long and the fish died because there is incredibly poor circulation/water flow/oxygen flow between the water in the small container and the main tank.

Those holes are small and there are not enough of them spread over a large enough area.

That said, I would still not recommend raising baby axolotls of baby fish in a smaller container (even if it was all-mesh and had better circulation) in a larger tank. They will always do their best in their own separate tank.

oh okay thank you

Good luck.

I had the exact "baby tank" you have in your photos and once kept a single fish in it inside a 20 long and the fish died because there is incredibly poor circulation/water flow/oxygen flow between the water in the small container and the main tank.

Those holes are small and there are not enough of them spread over a large enough area.

That said, I would still not recommend raising baby axolotls of baby fish in a smaller container (even if it was all-mesh and had better circulation) in a larger tank. They will always do their best in their own separate tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back