Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank cooling and air pumps

EllenD

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for having me in the group. I'm a newbie 5 day axl mom and I'm struggling a bit with a consistent temperature in the tank. My house is always 68 degrees. The tank fluctuates between 63 and 68 and I can get the temp down by blowing a fan over the tank (I don't want to keep the lid off for fear he'll jump out) or adding ice cubes to a baggie and letting it float in the tank, but neither of these seems very "scientific". Do air pumps help? I read conflicting info about cooling vs heating the water. Also is a 5 degree fluctuation safe for them? This has been my only challenge thus far; otherwise I'm over the moon with my new buddy! Thanks! Ellen

notanaxoltl

Reaction score
68 degrees will be fine, but if it gets any higher try keeping some frozen water bottles in your freezer that you can use in a pitch. It’s not the safest method, as the fluctuation in temperature can stress them out. I believe an air pump would not cool down the tank, as much as it would make the temperature more even across the tank. A fluctuation of 5 degrees is not so drastic I believe, however it is of course better just to have the temperature remain as steady as possible. The best course of action I can recommend is an aquarium fan- you can get ones where you are able to set the temperature and it will turn on and off to have the temperature remain consistent. A fan will lower your temperature by up to about 5 degrees celsius, enough to keep your axies happy! Good luck:).

Kitan

Reaction score
Hey there! Congrats on your Axie baby!

That 5 degree fluctation is just fine. It would be over the course of the day, not up and down like a yo yo, so it would likely mimic what would be natural; the temperature of lakes and rivers get colder when the sun goes down or on especially windy days too! The range is perfectly within what is safe for them too. Your concerns would be rapid shifts in temperature where your 'lotl's body could not adjust and temperatures above 70F.

Water bottles will cause far more issue with more extreme, unstable drops and rises in temp. An air pump WOULD cool it slightly, but only minorly and it would ALWAYS cool it slightly, not regulate your fluctuating temperatures. Depending on the strength of the pump and the type of stone it could actually CAUSE more stress by increasing water current. The reason an air pump will cool a tank slightly is it increases evaporation, which cools the water.

If you REALLY want to cool it, lower the water by a couple inches and remove the lid. You can then direct your fan over the surface to increase evaporation and cool it more without fear of the 'lotl leaving the joint. And I am about to make the WEIRDEST alternative suggestion here; since 68 isnt too warm for a 'lotl (high side of just right), you COULD get a heater and set it to about 66, that way you only ever have a 2 degree slide max. Again, I dont think you actually have a problem you should worry about. Your consistency IS that it fluctuates by 5 degrees. As long as it is consistent, then the axie will adjust.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!