Aquaponic in axolotl tank

tipnatee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
NYC Axolotl
Have anyone ever tried it? Last 2 years ago I grew some aquaponic herbs farm on top of my axolotl tank .. It was flourishing... Too well actually cause I grew too fast I had to chopped them down cause I no longer can support the weight

Tomatoes was 4 feet tall ...not much of fruits , not recommended.
Sweet basil 4 feet long. .. Best plant to use but easily over grow
Affrican basil 3 feet tall bushes.... 2 feet wide it was massive. Also good but easily overgrown
Chive unsuccessful
Oregano 2 feet hanging outside .. Was dead inside later on not recommended
Sage unsuccessful
Taragon a foot tall. Good plants but easily drawn in the spider mites.

In the end the experiment fail to maintain :kill: ... But I did have the year supplied of mostly basil and the rest I use for cooking. I didnt get any picture cause it was hard to take one but I grew them using growing light bought from hydroponic store. And the basket that house the plant roots I use baby product bath tub caddy. The rest are just the filter sponge block and plant seeds.

During the process the axolotl look quite happy and enjoy napping and hiding around the soft white hairy live roots and made a nest for them self.

Anybody ever tried? How was it?

I have always wanted to try aquaponics! We have some at my uni, but I'm not really sure how to even set it up.

Actually it's much easier than I thought before. I even use emergency blanket as the reflective curtains to intensify the hydro lights , since axolotl tank have aquarium fan already blowing , enough oxygen bubbles + sponge filter for clear water ... I only kept my old uv filter there to get everything run smoothly. Seeds need to be planting on the clean wet block sponge elsewhere it grew more than 3-4 inches tall before put them in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back