Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. marmoratus too thin? Is this species social?

ely

Reaction score
I have a trio of T. marmoratus. One could be considered a bit of a fatty, another is plump, and the last is very slender. I've fed them primarily blackworms, except for one or two days of crickets (but I got paranoid about it, and nixed that). I've seen the first two eating, but not the third. Today, I put the slender one into a critter keeper w/ a damp paper towel and some worms for a few hours, but it didn't eat any of them. It did leave a #2, so I suppose it is eating? Should I keep trying to isolate and feed? They seem to be active and content; they roam and eat regularly.

They spend a lot of time together, in a pile sometimes...Is that normal?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll put a skinny one in a jar with blackworms for a half hour to get them to eat. Blackworm soup. If you were swimming in a pot of soup, you couldn't help but eat some!!

caleb

Reaction score
They spend a lot of time together, in a pile sometimes...Is that normal?

This sometimes means that they're slightly too dry- they will clump together to conserve moisture. Probably nothing to worry about, but you might want to consider whether they've got access to hiding places at the moisture level they'd prefer.

ely

Reaction score
Sometimes I'll put a skinny one in a jar with blackworms for a half hour to get them to eat. Blackworm soup. If you were swimming in a pot of soup, you couldn't help but eat some!!

Interesting! I would've thought that would be overwhelming, but I think I'll try that. Thank you!

ely

Reaction score
This sometimes means that they're slightly too dry- they will clump together to conserve moisture. Probably nothing to worry about, but you might want to consider whether they've got access to hiding places at the moisture level they'd prefer.

I mist once in the morning, and the substrate is pretty moist. I was trying not to overdo it since I read that this species can develop skin issues if it is too wet. I'll step it up with the moisture starting now. Thank you for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!