The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Plants for Enclosures and Vivariums Share your knowledge and give advice about plants for vivaria.

Old 23rd September 2011   #1
François
(FRANCOIS)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information
Default Plants for "cold water" tank.

Heloooo,
I am keeping a pair of P. ruber in a fairly cool tank, 60F or less and will keep getting the temp down... what plants do you recommend for such temps? I want plants that are available, will do well and will keep growing at such temps. I already do have some but not all of them seem happy.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011   #2
otolith

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Plants for "cold water" tank.

I've had good luck with java moss, java fern, anubias sp. and cold water variants of anacharis/elodea in tanks that got around 50F during winter. Certain species of anacharis/elodea die off when temps drop, I've found it better to buy them from outdoor fish pond suppliers rather than from aquarium stores. The types sold for outdoor use seem to be a lot hardier. Growth in anubias and java fern definitely slows when temps drop but I've never had any problems with plants dieing off.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011   #3
Molch
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

hornwort, Elodea, Shinnersia rivularis, Vallisneria spiralis, Sagittaria subulata, and java fern all do well in my tanks at 55-60 F. Also Rotala rotundifolia, though it grows a bit slow. Myriophyllum might work too.

Old 23rd September 2011   #4
François
(FRANCOIS)

Nationality:
Rep: FRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and informationFRANCOIS has given consistently good advice and information

I have some of the plants that you guys are listing, indeed they work well.... will look up the others! Thanks a lot to you both!

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011   #5
megs

Nationality:
Rep: megs has given good advice and informationmegs has given good advice and information

Fontinalis would also look great under these conditions, Potamogeton species, Ludwigia repens, Cardemine lyrata and many others.
Martin

megs is offline   Reply With Quote