Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Video: Hellbender episode of Nick Baker's Weird Creatures

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
The information was shocking and the efforts of the scientist were really sincere. This video shows how much people really know and how much we don't know as well. The graphic scenes were horrific but it was nice to see so many larvae. 1st time I've seen Hell Bender larvae that scene will stay with me, promotion of this video will do the Hell Bender a great good.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. The only problem is that whoever posted this video most certainly did it without permission so I doubt it'll stay on the internet for long.

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Nice find. Having just recently visited the Natural History Museum in London and its entomology department, I also enjoyed the scenes from there.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I thought it was a great documentary, and I while I agree that some parts were disturbing, The beginning was enjoyable. I'd seen pictures of 'bender larvae, but never video; I was glad to see that.

On a slightly different note, I think I may have a book by that Nick Baker guy...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed, this is well worth watching - all 46 minutes of it. The hellbender larvae are very cute.

The deformities shown on the adult hellbenders remind me of the kinds of things we see in newly-imported Chinese firebellies: limb deterioration and ulceration. These animals must be under terrible stress.

lazymut

Reaction score
yeah i thought that was truly fascinating watched every second of it if anybody knows of any other caudate related documentaries please do share:)

Bugboy

TV Herp Guru
Reaction score
I've just found this site and I must thank you all for your kind words about my series - Weird Creatures. It really encourages me to carry on.

I'm currently out on another caudata mission - In fact i'm in mexico city right now typing this on my lap top - I'm off to try and find one of the few wild axolotls left in their native habitat of whats left of lake xochimilco. I've been finding various Ambystomids in the illegal markets here including what appeared to be a wild Axolotl but I may be a hybrid of some kind as it doesn't quite fit any decription I can find (see posts in Axolotl section).

I spent today in the university labs where they keep a wild culture of axolotls and I have been quizzing the sceintists here about a few neat little triks including treatments for Chytrid fungus..I will happily share as sson as I'm sure I've got my facts right.

I'll keep exploring the forums and of course if anyone has any suggesting I'm all ears.

Cheers

Nick

chantia001

Reaction score
Ive just found this forum and am facinated about these strange little creatures. Until I watched Nick Bakers weird creatures I had never seen or heard of an olm or a hellbender!! It saddens me to think that unless we take drastic steps to protect our planet and the animals that co-habit it with us we will lose it forever.

Well done Nick!!

C x

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread, but this episode on the Hellbender is coming on the Smithsonian Channel (HD) and probably the normal version too but I'm not sure, on Sept 18th 2009 at 9:00 pm EST. I don't know who has this channel or what provider has it, I have Verizon Fios so whoever has that should certainly be able to see it.

I don't see it coming up soon, but the episode on the Olm (Proteus anguinus) had been played on the channel numerous times lately, that episode is definately worth watching, unbelievable footage of both subspecies of the Proteus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!