Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Banana worms for baby newts

vincent

Reaction score
Hi all for those of us who rear newts/salamanders .I have always found rearing baby brine shrimp a pain ,a lot of messing about and very time consuming however ! a friend of mine who breeds fish, gave me a colony of banana worms. They are microscopic worms that feed on banana ,the colony itself is sat on a base of damp porridge and a piece of banana is placed on top, the colony itself is housed in a margarine tub and fed every month.The worms themselves are hard to visualize with the naked eye and appear as a velvet coating on the fruit .The worms are best removed using a kiddies paint brush and can be lifted of the surface of the fruit then washed out in your fry tank, they will live a couple of days in the water if you place your fry tanks on black paper the worms can be seen easier. When not needed any more just let the colony dry out to restart your colony just place a piece of banana back in the tub. My Italian crested, alpine and sharp ribs will take these until they are big enough for white/blood worm. Saving you money especially if you are buying daphnia from shops :cool: Hope this helps the worms can be bought through the net

Dasher

Reaction score
wow that sounds like a great idea. ill look into it thanks.

Dasher=

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These worms are also called microworms. In my experience, larvae don't grow as quickly on microworms, but they are certainly an option if Daphnia or baby brine shrimp are not available.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I started using banana worms where I would use baby brine shrimp. I switch to chopped blackworms when the larvae put a little size on. Those fish keepers have 3 kinds of microworms they use. Banana worms, walter worms, and, regular microworms. Banana worms are supposed to survive longer in water than walter worms or regular microworms. I just raise my banana worms on oatmeal. I'll have to try tossing some banana in one of the cultures.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Vincent. I am raising 100 marmoratus larvae and 30 Cynops orientalis. I can tell you that if i didnt have the baby artemia to hatch my larvae would be all dead by now. This because i have several banana worms [Microworms] and the baby animals that feeded on them started to die. So i just quit that and let all the cultures dye.
Like Jen said BBS are much more recommended and cause a bigger growth rare in the first days of life.
Cheers,

vincent

Reaction score
Microworms are a lot smaller than banana worms, so I'd check to see if I had the right ones,raised loads of Alpines and sharp ribbed last year and found these were good for the first day or so then went on to daphnia and white worms then frozen blood worms. Just found it easier than BBS pots of aereated salt water. Plus as they will survive dormant in a pot until needed and they live quite a while in water so the babies have time to feed. Its just more thing to try and hopefully achieve success:D
Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1