Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Non-jumping springtails

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed some tiny white things in my worm bin. They climb all over the underside of the lid, and I discovered that I could harvest them by tapping the lid. I didn't think they were springtails because they don't jump at all. But in looking at various online guides, it appears that they are actually springtails. The Notophthalmus efts love them.

I suppose the next step is to see if they can be cultured. If so, I think they'd be a little easier to deal with than the jumpy kind. They are about the same size as the usual little white springtails that are commonly cultured.

Sorry about the bad photos, but these were taken by holding a digital camera up to the microscope eyepiece. And the critters were wiggling like crazy.

Attachments

• springtail4.jpg
    springtail4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,956
  • springtail3.jpg
    springtail3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 976
  • springtail2.jpg
    springtail2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • springtail1.jpg
    springtail1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,995

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you did well with the photos actually. Put me on your list - I can always use a new kind of springtail :).

Molch

Reaction score
are these like a white dust covering your whiteworm cultures? If so, I have those too. I seem to be culturing them accidentally in my worm cultures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!