Mozzie wriggler

nina89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've had a tub outside for a month now and there's 100's of mozzie wrigglers in there so I put 20 young wrigglers in with 10 axolotl larvae at 23mm and they were gone in less then 15 minutes. I couldn't believe they were gone that fast. I was worried they might not catch them cos there quite fast.
I am still going to mix up their food with BBS and chopped Bloodworms now and then but I am wondering what kind of nutritional value It has compared to common food like listed before, as I would like to make it my axies main food supply until they can eat whole Bloodworms.

I only have experience feeding the mozzie larvae to tropical fish, and from what I have read they are one of the better foods nutritionally. I would assume that they would be good for the axies as well.

thanks thats good to know. firstly I was worried the spikey thing on the wriggler might hurt the axies but there all fine. In the wild they would eat things like this all the time so I shouldn't worry.
I'm about to feed them again, I'm going to put 20 of my axies on this diet only and see how they go compared to batch 1 on chopped frozen bloodworms and occassional BBS snack.
I lost count at 160 but I have approx 200 axolotl larvae so If the growth rate is equal in the next week I might change completely to mozzie wrigglers with the occasional chopped bloodworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back