Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hikari Shortage

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Be advised that there is an issue with the Hikari Foods Supply chain. Many retailers cannot get their frozen products. The few that can are severely limited by Hikari in the amounts they can order per month.

(Example: the only place left in Nebraska that can get any of their frozen products is only allotted three 16oz packages of each. I go through six of these a month.)

The big chain stores are out and have been for months. The SF Bay brand is readily available here, but I find their frozen bloodworms to be inferior.

(I suspect this may be related to the tsunami, but that is mere conjecture.)

I am a bit worried as I have utilized a broad range of Hikari's superior products for years.

I have attempted to contact Hikari USA multiple times, but have not gotten anything but long hold times and answering services.

I would very much like to find out what is going on before my stockpile runs out

taapua

Reaction score
I too have tried many different brands of frozen foods and find that all pale when compared to Hikari. No, I'm not being paid by them. LOL. Have you tried e-mailing them?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Johnny, if you're looking for bloodworms then you could try Brine Shrimp Direct. I've been buying mine in bulk from them for quite some time and I've been quite pleased. Their bloodworms come from managed ponds in Northern China.

desertiguana

Reaction score
Here on the edge off the great pacific northwest hikari brand frozen foods are scarce. All their is is sanfrancisco bay brand.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I got the word from Hikari USA today via Facebook. As it is posted on their wall, you can all verify it there.

We are experiencing some import issues related to Blood Worms due to a change in the USDA import process. We are hoping to have them resolved shortly.

~Hikari USA via Facebook

This explains the bloodworms. So I will take a risk and assume the brine shrimp is a similar reason.

trailsofslime

Reaction score
The USDA changed the regulations for importing frozen and freeze dried insects in mid October, the bloodworm a midge fly larvae is grouped in this category. Some companies had containers of product on the water when the law was changed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1