Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Screening my animals for chytrid

peter5930

Reaction score
I got a present from the postage fairy this morning; 40 sterile swabs from a PhD student of Wildlife Epidemiology at the Institute of Zoology in London, who's conducting research into chytrid in the pet trade. I negotiated a deal in which I get to swab my animals and have them tested for chytrid at no charge (usual 'retail' price is about £24 per test, and the tests each cost the lab £5-10 to perform) as long as I send her any (up to a maximum of 20, and no more than 2 from each enclosure) that test positive so that she can attempt to isolate and culture new strains of the fungus for study (and I might even get the animals back when she's done with them). I have a lot of species that she's never tested before, and I've also asked her if she'd like me to freeze any dead ones I find and send them to her.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good deal! I'd be interested in hearing the results. Otterwoman and I are the only people that I know of who have tested any pet caudates. We both tested one animal from each of 8 enclosures (total of 16 swabs, roughly 16 species). All were negative.

peter5930

Reaction score
I think xxianxx had his animals tested, possibly by this same researcher. I'm hoping for a nice warm night to bring things out of their burrows and underwater hides so that I can go around my garden and swab them all in one go, although the swabs can be refrigerated for a few days after being used if I need more time to get them all done.

Willlis

Reaction score
Definitely curious about the results. I've seen some positive swabs at my workplaces and always worry about mine at home.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I think xxianxx had his animals tested, possibly by this same researcher. I'm hoping for a nice warm night to bring things out of their burrows and underwater hides so that I can go around my garden and swab them all in one go, although the swabs can be refrigerated for a few days after being used if I need more time to get them all done.

I am contacting the researcher, a shop i sold some baby Xenopus to was tested, i would like to see the results as they may indicate wether i have chytrid in my collection.

peter5930

Reaction score
The sterile swabs:

peter5930-albums-chytrid-testing-picture22172-sterile-swabs.jpg

peter5930-albums-chytrid-testing-picture22171-sterile-swabs.jpg

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless they've been kept with American Bullfrogs, Horned Frogs, or Xenopus, they're all going to be negative. Prove me wrong though, please.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1