Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can a newt last on (mostly) mealworms?

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Hi!
i got two smooth newts which i just had a few months and ive been feeding them wild bugs and frosen mosquito(?) larvaes and during winter they have been living mainly on mealworms, i knew this aint the best food but it,s been a snowy and cold winter so i have only found a few wild insects to feed them! is it dangeroues to go with this food only? even if its powdered a few times a week? i only give them the organs and not the head too.
i have ordered a few cultures of different bugs and flyes which i will start to feed them but they will come at fastest possible in a week.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not dangerous in the short term. If you're dusting the mealworms with a quality vitamin supplement then it will be even less of a problem. Mealworms are high in fat, have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio and tough exoskeletons which can be difficult to digest. They should not be used as a staple. Nutritional deficiencies take a long time to manifest so short term use is unlikely to have any lasting effect.

Are your newts aquatic or terrestrial? Do they feed from tongs or toothpick?

Formulated food such as reptomin sticks or carnivorous fish pellets are a great alternative to live food. The tricky part is getting them to accept it. Once they do you'll never have to worry about food again.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Try to feed the mealworms after they are soft and white after shedding. They will be easier to digest. Feeding the mealworms carrots will help induce them to shed by giving them proper hydration and nutrients.

Zhinigami

Reaction score
well they are terrestrial and i give them food from a small tong and mostly i only give them the organs (not the exoskeleton) of the mealworm so that won't be a problem i guess.
but i think jackie (on of the newts) gotten a bit fat already :(
i tryed to feed them some small insects i found in the pond (small, slim, round with long body, with three small tails anyone know what they're called ?) and they loved them! even Draiman who is a bit hard to feed did eat them happily! i will try to feed them more of them instead/and mealworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1