Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma macrodactylum: Successful breeding

MarioR

Reaction score
After Rodrigo asked that nicely for some pictures in my tigrinum-thread, I show you what also happened in here:

I got a group of macrodactylum macrodactylum with 7 individuals. All are CB'09 and mature now. They measure about 10cm ttl.

Eggs:
6984973045_d0c569f9a5_z.jpg

Possible parents:
6984966387_a0f3d14842_z.jpg

6838846110_f35fdfc08f_z.jpg

I used the same technique as I descripted in the linked tigrinum-thread, but I threw both sexes into the outside tank at the same day on 3rd March.

Greetings,
Mario

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing :)

It´s great to see the F2 of this species in captivity. It makes me very happy to know ambystomatids are being bred more or less consistently out there :D

MarioR

Reaction score
Thank you guys!

@Thomasz: Yes I will sell some after metamorphosis.

Regards,
Mario

MarioR

Reaction score
I think we're at the end of the story: All eggs i collected (127) are infertile...:(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaw....that´s a real pitty, sorry to hear that, Mario, you have my condolences.
At least you have managed to get them to breed once, so the future is looking good. Things like this are part of the psicological hazards of this hobby.

desertiguana

Reaction score
It was a good try, much farther than I've ever got in my limited expierences with A. macrodactylum

Niels D

Reaction score
I know how disappointed you can be after discovering that a batch of eggs is unfertile in the end. Experienced the same thing with my Gastrotheca riobambae, because all the eggs in the female's pouch weren't fertilised. Luckily you're tigrinum eggs are a succes! After reading your thread I immediately changed my setup for my tigers into an aquarium like yours. Sorry for being such a copycat... :eek:

MarioR

Reaction score
News update:
Most embryos develop well and are shortly before hatching after 10 days.
I added new photos on my homepage: Ambystomatidae - Die Welt der amphiben Maulwürfe
You can also see the balancers of the embryos which distinguish them from most other Ambystomatids.

To my pleasure my second group with known locality laid eggs at night too :eek::ha:

Regards,
Mario

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Best of lucks, Mario! Wonderful pictures, by the way.

MarioR

Reaction score
One month after hatching the biggest ones are 3cm long and grow their hind limbs.
Ambystomatidae - Die Welt der amphiben Maulwürfe

They are nasty cannibals and seem to love the front legs of their siblings.

Unfortunately all eggs laid by the second group were infertile - just like last year :(

Regards,
Mario

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!