Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rearing Scuds?

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Hello guys , bought a couple of unidentified scuds which the seller told me was from a river And i placed it in moist peat moss ,and i also added a bowl of shallow water in there and some hides and placed in a non transparent ice cream container. Any tips guys? He also told me not to place it in deep water because it might drown. Can anyone tell me what they eat and is my setup correct? As of now , they're hiding in their hides. All replies will be followed and appreciated. And also any tips on how to breed?

willowcat

Reaction score
From your description I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Here in Minnesota we call freshwater shrimp, Scuds. gammarus. Many different strains. Minnesota is home to several, one in particular, Gammarus lacustris. The largest of the strains. Winter is the best time to harvest them. They are harvested underneath the ice. They are in concentrated numbers under the ice in the spring, due to the abundance of algae growth on the bottom of the ice. Little is written on this strain, in such ways as, intensive culturing. They are thought to be annual breeders and cannibalistic. I also tried to breed them in a more controlled environment, with little success. This was mainly do to time restraints, devoted to my beloved waterchanges. I do raise the Hyalella Azteca with ample success, none do to my expertise:crazy: This particular strain is very easy to raise. Actually there is nothing to it. Aquarium, green water (phytoplankton), and hang on. These are very prolific and are not seasonal in propagation rulings. I do not know if you can get your hands on these in your country. I would first try to culture the ones you have. If there is no ease in multiplying them, go on to something else. Too much out there to have at our disposal, which in turn allows more time for the beloved water changes of the host that you chose for husbandry.
Trace :animal:
[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+1]t
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Yahilles

Reaction score
Hyalellla love to eat any macroscopic algae, especially cyanobacteria and filamentous chlorophytes.

jeromeetabuzo if they're really scuds, they should live interwater, not in moss. At least most species.

Trace: strain is not a species and Gammarus lacustris and Hyalella azteca are species. Strain is usually referred to as a bloodline within a species, like "Chemnitz strain" of Hypselotriton cyanurus.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys , bought a couple of unidentified scuds which the seller told me was from a river And i placed it in moist peat moss ,and i also added a bowl of shallow water in there and some hides and placed in a non transparent ice cream container. Any tips guys? He also told me not to place it in deep water because it might drown. Can anyone tell me what they eat and is my setup correct? As of now , they're hiding in their hides. All replies will be followed and appreciated. And also any tips on how to breed?

These don't sound like scuds. Can you post a photo of them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1