Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Article: Calci Worms (Black Soldier Fly larvae)

evut

Reaction score
Thank you for the article.

I've had strange experience with Calci worms. The first time I got them for my caudates, they were white and soft, similar to waxworms. The second time - from the same supplier - light brown with hard shells which they seemed to shed all the time. The first type didn't seem to be a big hit with the animals and I didn't use the second type because they seemed too hard for caudates.
Are different species of insect sold as Calci worms or why were they so different?

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Eva,

Thanks for you note; glad you enjoyed. Interesting...I've come across brown pupae but not larvae of that color here in the US. But different species mat be available in the UK, sold under same name...I'll check with a contact and see if I can find any further info, Best, frank

tcbemis

Reaction score
Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi... I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. We've been purchasing both Calciworms and Reptiworms for you our A. Maculatum. They prefer the Calciworms for whatever reason, even though they smell like vinegar and are $3.99 for roughly 7 larvae (we're feeding 6, obviously that makes no sense and I don't know why Petco sells such small amounts). The Reptiworms are healthier looking and much more cost effective. We've been getting them online.
The reason some are black and some are cream colored is due to molting; they get nearly black before they molt, moving onto another "size".

Thanks very much for that info.

Seems very expensive...are you using earthworms as well?...always accepted, easy to rear and very good as a basis of the diet. Best, Frank

tcbemis

Reaction score
Yes, although they don't like the red wigglers, they prefer our (currently frozen) garden earthworms. But if we scald and cut the reds, they'll take them. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!