Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tree frog ID?

Tiger1993

Reaction score
I was visiting my parents in Florida over the weekend and brought back my metal chimney that has been sitting in their back yard near their little pond and their tadpole filled pool that's gone green for winter lol but I was about to start a fire in it and there was already a log in it and I moved it and out popped a little hitchhiker lol I know it's some sort of a tree from but I'm not sure what kind, it's cold out here and I knew he wouldn't make it this winter with it getting below 20 degrees and he's from Florida so I put some dirt and some moss in one of my plastic critter carriers until I can get one of my extra tanks setup for him, hopefully someone has an idea of what exactly he might be, an ideas help! Thank you to everyone :)

fa2cf1a16d36ab7eb5429c68010ee7f4.jpg

0599dd64b4fc67804576a4afd390884d.jpg

2a4c659d274db870d4aa2ec73e530540.jpg

3e4225957d1acdac166e8e3f9cc89cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Cliygh and Mia

Looks like a Cuban. Gray tree frogs don't live in peninsula florida

C

Cliygh and Mia

And plus he doesn't have a green-gray stripe under the eye

Stupot1610

Reaction score
It doesn't look like a gray tree frog or cuban tree frog. I would say Pseudacris sp.
Perhaps Pseuadacris crucifer?

Stuart

C

Cliygh and Mia

I know tree frogs, and the toe pads are to large to be a Pseudacris species, and the head shape is different

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I just had a quick look before I went off do to some studying. After having a better look I am pretty certain it is a cuban tree frog - so please don't release it! :happy:

Stuart

C

Cliygh and Mia

The only other frog it could be is a dark (from stress of capture) golden tree frog, which I believe are not introduced in Florida. And he looks on the chubby side, did you feed him anything while you had him?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Without doubt, that's a Cuban. Note the skin bonded to the skull in a smooth depression between the eyes. It looks very typical overall.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
It's a cuban. It's a highly invasive species and wipes out entire populations of native frogs. Whatever you do, don't release it in Georgia. They also need a daylight reptile UVB bulb to do well.

Tiger1993

Reaction score
Yeah my parents live in central east Florida, and there are tons of these at their house, and I found him when I turned over a log in the chimney I brought back wit me, he was that color when I found him, and I only had the chimney out one night before I found him and I'm surprised he didn't die because it was well below freezing, and no I didn't feed him anything, atleast not yet

Tiger1993

Reaction score
I was thinking he was a Cuban but wasn't for sure, the frogs around my parents that look like this one are usually this color

d1030f42014bdd1f6ca92b4b26cee601.jpg

C

Cliygh and Mia

They are definitely Cuban. Besides them have you seen any other frogs where you found them?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Where you find Cubans you don't find other frogs. They eat them all. Even cubans end up food for other Cubans

Tiger1993

Reaction score
There are others at my parents, theirs leap it'd frogs and some native Florida tree frogs that disappeared for a while after we starting seeing the Cuban tree frogs show up but in the past couple years they have been showing back up

C

Cliygh and Mia

There are others at my parents, theirs leap it'd frogs and some native Florida tree frogs that disappeared for a while after we starting seeing the Cuban tree frogs show up but in the past couple years they have been showing back up

Does that mean that the natives showed back up again, or the Cubans?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!