How many eggs do Hyla Arborea lay?

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm a bit confused,
I've read lots of articles on this species and almost all of them say they lay 800-2,000 eggs. But then I spoke to someone who has bred them in the past and he says his only ever laid 2/300. Can anybody enlighten me? Does anyone keep these?
Thanks,
Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:
The published numbers do seem to vary quite a bit. Boulenger's "Tailless Batrachians of Europe" says "Each female produces only 800-1000 eggs". Arnold & Burton's field guide says "Females lay 200-1400 eggs in clumps containing 3-60 or more". Kuzmin's "Amphibians of the Former Soviet Union" says "The clutch contains 692-1872 eggs that are deposited in 3-21 small clumps of 15-215 eggs each"

Some of these numbers will be based on counting mature eggs in the ovaries of dissected females. Not all of these eggs will actually be laid. As H. arborea can spawn several times in one season, it's likely that they won't use up all their eggs in the first spawning.

Even if they do lay all the eggs, it's unlikely that 100% will be fertilised.

Also, it's only the biggest and best-fed females that will produce the largest numbers of eggs.

Thanks for that, it helped to clear it up a bit for me.

Stuart

My arborea's have been laying steadily over the past few days now, and I've got multiple spawnings from a good number of amplexing males and females. Having collected it all so far I've got over 3/4's of a pint glass full already, which when you consider that each female lays a walnut sized clutch that contains eggs that each measure around 1mm, then it certainly puts into perspective their reproductive ability.

I'm hoping my group will start laying within the next few weeks. I've been told that they lay about 400 eggs 2-3 times a year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back