Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about live snails as feeders

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Hey all, I was curious if anyone sees any issue with feeding japanese trapdoor snails (Viviparus malleattus) to my aquatic salamanders. These are snails I culture myself in outdoor vats with plants and feed various types of leaf lettuce. My vats are clear of pests (hydroids and such) but wasnt sure if theres a risk of parasites or disease with this snail species. I already feed ramshorn and european pond snails (crushed/deshelled basically) to my caudata when the snail population gets too high in my planted tanks.

My plan is to freeze them, then deshell and chop them to appropriate size. This is what I commonly do with them to feed various fish and reptiles.

Any information or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Blackbun

Reaction score
SnotOtter I think you're to be commended for considering using home grown food for your animals. In my experience, mass cultured inverts potentially carry all manner of things. This I know from some of the work I have done in the lab.
I know that water snails (fresh and salt water) can be an intermediary host for the liverfluke. (Fasciola). The tertiary hosts being specific to a particular parasite species but ranging from ducks to frogs. I'd assume salamanders were included somewhere along the line. These snails only become infected when consuming parasitic eggs (egested with the host animal's faeces) in the environment.
For me, I think your snails would be fine to use because (I'd use them) a) you rear them in water free of infected amphibians and b) freezing will kill any parasites which might be there.

Blackbun

Reaction score
521050d879524ec548e6ad968febd4f5_zpsosdl3bsv.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!