Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How frequently do kaisers get air

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
Hello I recently came into a beautiful specimen of Kaiser newt and noticed that she barely ever comes up for air. She is not stuck she just stays under water I wanted to time her and see how long she would stay under but I couldn't wait for her to come up and stopped. Do yours also stay under water for ever when I compare her to my notophthalmus they come up so much more frequently it is miraculous.
Thanks in advance -Luke

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the book Threatened Newts and Salamanders - Guidelines for Conservation Breeding, Gunther Schultschik writes "If their water is rich in oxygen, they will hardly ever come to the surface to take in atmospheric air. Breathing through the skin appears to be entirely sufficient for N. Kaiseri", so you might have been waiting a long time with the stopwatch! ;)

Blackbun

Reaction score
I agree with Chinadog. Also consider the temperature of the water. Colder water is able to hold more dissolved oxygen than warmer water. Additionally, if she's not moving about too much, her oxygen requirements will be much less too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!